Are you facing a problem where Instagram opens another post when you tap on a link shared by someone? If so, you are not alone, as many users have experienced this issue, including us. Worry not; today you will learn how you can fix Instagram opening wrong link.
Why is Instagram Opening Wrong Link?
There can be a variety of reasons why the Meta-owned photo and video-sharing platform Instagram is opening or loading wrong links including:
- Temporary files associated with the app are causing the issue.
- Cached data prevents the right links from opening.
- Links are taking time to load as your internet speed is slow.
- You are using an outdated app.
- Amongst others.
How to Fix Instagram Opening Wrong Link?
Many users have reported that when they try to open a reel or post someone sent on other platforms, Instagram redirects them to another post or reel video. Furthermore, many times, Instagram opens random posts or wrong reel videos when someone clicks on the comment button on the Facebook reels. Here, we have included some troubleshooting ways to fix it. Read on to check them out.
Check Your Internet
First of all, you need to check your internet speed, if you are receiving slow internet connectivity, it might take time for Instagram to fetch and load the post whose link was shared with you by someone. If that’s the case, you will see the posts you were seeing previously on the platform.
Refresh the Reel or Post
If you are receiving stable internet, you can try refreshing the reel or post to check for the latest content, as simply refreshing a post refreshes the content and loads the fresh content if there is any. Just swipe down on the screen to refresh the page, then check if you see the correct link or not.
Remove Instagram From Recent
Clearing an app from recent or background helps users fix issues like Instagram opening the wrong link as it removes all the temporary files associated with the app. Also, it fetches the link properly by showing you a loading screen instead of a previously opened post. Here’s how you can remove the app from recent tabs:
1. Click the recent button. Swipe up from the bottom if you have enabled gestures on your Android phone.
2. Locate the Instagram window and remove it.
1. Swipe up on the home screen to open recent tabs. If you have an iPhone with a home button, tap the home button and swipe up to bring up the recent menu.
2. Look for Instagram and swipe up to remove it from the background.
Restart Your Device
You can also try restarting your smartphone since it removes unnecessary data from the device, stops background activities, and essentially debugs itself. This can fix the problem of Instagram loading wrong links.
Restart your handset and check whether the phone is able to fix the problem of Instagram opening wrong link or not.
Clear Instagram Cache
As mentioned earlier, cache data might be the reason why the app is loading the wrong links. Hence, we suggest you clear the cache and check if the problem has been solved or not. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Open the Settings app on your phone.
2. Go to Apps, then Manage Apps or All Apps.
3. Select Instagram to open App Info.
4. Click on Manage Storage or Storage & Cache, depending on your phone.
5. Finally, tap on Clear Cache.
If you are an iPhone user, you need to offload the Instagram app, as it does not have an option to clear the cache. To offload Instagram, navigate to the Settings app, then choose General. Select iPhone Storage and tap Instagram. Finally, tap on the Offload App and confirm the action.
Update the Instagram App
Outdated apps also might be the reason for the issue, as Instagram releases updates regularly to fix bugs and glitches and improve performance. Here’s how you can update it:
1. Open the Google Play Store or App Store.
2. Search for Instagram and hit the search button.
3. Check if there is an update available. If yes, click on the Update button to install it.
Open the Link in a Browser
If there is a glitch in the app, then this solution works best. Here’s how you can manually open Instagram through a browser:
1. Head over to the Instagram link that you are trying to open.
2. Long-press on the link to copy it.
3. Open a browser on your device and enter the link, then tap the search button.
Once you do, you should see the right content.
Log Out and Log In Again
Logging out and logging in again to an Instagram account helps many users fix the issue. You can also try doing so by following the simple steps:
1. Open the Instagram app and tap on your profile icon from the bottom-right side.
2. Click on the hamburger menu, then select Settings & Privacy.
3. Scroll down to the bottom and tap the Log Out button.
4. Once logged out, reopen the app and log in to your account again.
Reinstall the App
Uninstalling the app removes all the data associated with it and can help you fix the issue if there is an app-related issue. Follow the below steps to do so.
1. Press and hold the Instagram app icon and choose Uninstall or Remove.
2. Confirm the action to delete it from your device.
3. Open the Google Play Store or App Store on your device.
4. Look for Instagram and tap on Install to get the app.
Check For Outage
If the Instagram servers are down, then it might be the reason why it’s opening wrong links and if this is the case, then you need to wait for some time. To check the server status, you can visit websites like DownDetector.
(Resolved) Instagram Opening Wrong Link
So, these are some troubleshooting ways by which you can resolve the Instagram opening wrong link issue. I hope you find this article helpful; if so, share it with your friends and family.