WhatsApp is a popular messaging service owned by Meta. The platform introduced the Group chat feature back in the year 2011 and since then there have so many changes to it. Just like other platforms, you can easily change the name of a group whenever you want and in this read, you will learn how you can change group name in WhatsApp.
How to Change and Update Group Name on WhatsApp?
There are instances when a person made a group with a random name and later realized that it was not suiting the group or wanted to change it. Hopefully, WhatsApp lets users change the group subject name as much time as they can and today you will learn how you can achieve so.
Using WhatsApp Mobile App
If you are using WhatsApp from Android or iOS then you can easily change the group subject by following the simple steps.
1. Open the WhatsApp app on your phone.
2. Head over to the group and open it.
3. On the group, click on the group subject at the top. Alternatively, long-press the group in the chats screen > Tap on the three-dots icon > Select Group Info.
4. Tap on the group name or pencil icon. If you are seeing the pencil icon then tap on the three-dots icon at the top and choose Change subject.
5. Enter a new name then tap OK or Save to apply the changes.
Using WhatsApp Web on PC
If you WhatsApp on the web, the steps are a little different that the mobile app. Below are the steps to change the subject on WhatsApp web.
1. Open the WhatsApp Web on your PC and log in to your account.
2. Tap to open the group whose name you want to change.
3. Click on the subject group at the top.
4. Hover the mouse over the group name and tap on the pencil icon.
5. Update the name and tap on the tick mark icon to save the changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the Group subject in WhatsApp?
The group subject on the platform is the name of a WhatsApp group that all the users can see.
Q. How do I allow all members to change the group name on WhatsApp?
To allow all group members to change your group’s name, open the WhatsApp group > Tap on the group name at the top > Click on the three-dots icon at the top > Choose Group Settings > Tap on Edit Group info > Finally, select All participants and save the settings.
Q. Can a group member change the WhatsApp group name?
If the admin has chosen that everyone can change the group info of a group then anyone can change the WhatsApp group name. To change it, Open the group chat > Tap on the group name > Click on the three-dots icon > Select Change subject then enter the new name.
Q. How long can a WhatsApp group name or subject be?
Previously the character limit for WhatsApp subject names was 25 but from Feb 2023, WhatsApp has expanded the limit from 25 to 100.
So, this was all about how you can change and update the group name in WhatsApp. I hope the above read helps you in updating the subject name; if it did, share it with your friends and family.